Marium wipes her hands on her face when
she was done praying. She rolls up her mat, excuses herself for few seconds to
put it away.
“I don’t know, I mean it’s a lot of
risk,” Marium said as she fixed her hijab.
John brushes his ginger hair in a
frustrated motion.
“This is our life we are talking about, we
can’t let him make decisions for us, we are the ones who are going to have to
live the consequences of his decision for the rest of our lives, NOT him,” John raised his voice.
As tears started welling up in her Kohl
lined eyes, she replied, “but you know how he is; he is never going to accept
your proposal.”
Upon seeing the tears starting to flood,
John quickly, without any hesitation, threw his arms around her.
“I don’t know how this is going to work.
Why can’t I have the one thing I want, more than anything else in this world?
What did I do to be put in this situation? Why me?” she cried.
John in his comfort voice assured her, “It’s
not your fault… life can be so damn unpredictable sometimes, but we just have
to learn to face it.”
Her eye color now matched his hair.
Looking up at John, she said in terror, “I am so scared to go against him.”
Still locked in their hug, John closes
his eyes, and sighs, “Yeah… I know… you don’t want to hurt his feelings. I mean
after all, he is your father.”
She started doubting herself again, “I
wish there was some sort of a compromise, I don’t want him to be disappointed
in me, I am what I am today all because of him. I wish I had the guts to say no
him. I just don’t---”
“Look, it’s not like you are lying to
him, the best way to handle this situation is to be honest with him and if he
refuses, then we move on to our plan B,” John interrupted.
“I know it’s not lying but it is or would
be an act of betrayal,” she responded.
John harshly explains, “If we try and
fail, at least we can say that we tried, I mean by miracle, what if he agrees? And
as for betraying him, I think it’s safe to say that we somewhat warned him.”
Marium wipes off her tear.
John sighs, “would you rather live the
rest of your life, wondering what would have happened? Or would you rather live
a free life….”
After
a moment of silence, John slowly said in a low tone, "...with... me?”
No comments:
Post a Comment